SPANISH CHICKPEA STEW WITH CAULIFLOWER BROCCOLI RICE
Flavorful Spanish Chickpea Stew with Cumin scented Cauliflower Broccoli Rice. Smoky tomatoey 30 Minute Spanish Chickpea Stew can be served over rice or grains or cauliflower or broccoli rice. Vegan Gluten-free Nut-free Grain-free Soy-free Recipe.
Received from: Vegan Richa
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Spanish, Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 to 12 oz of canned diced tomatoes (unsalted), or 2 large juicy tomatoes
- 1 inch ginger
- ¾ tsp paprika (smoky or a combination of sweet and smoky)
- ½ to ¾ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp or more cayenne
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1.5 cups vegetables chopped small such as cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, green or red bell pepper
- 1 cup or more water
- ½ to ¾ tsp salt (depends on if the chickpeas are already salted)
- ½ tsp sugar or maple syrup or other sweetener
Cumin Scented Cauliflower Broccoli Rice:
- 1.5 heaping cups cauliflower florets or 1 cup grated or shredded
- 1.5 cups broccoli florets or 1 scant cup shredded
- ½ tsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp or more salt
- ¼ tsp garlic
- 1 dash of cayenne (optional)
- a good dash of lemon juice
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. 3 mins.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomato with the ginger to puree and keep ready. Alternatively use tomato puree and minced ginger.
- Add the spices to the saucepan and mix for a few seconds. Add tomato ginger puree to the saucepan and cook for 4 minutes until starting to thicken, stir occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas and the vegetables and mix in. Add water and salt, sugar/sweetener and cook partially covered for 10 to 12 minutes until vegetables are tender. Fold in baby spinach or greens at this point if using. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Add a dash of lemon to balance if needed.
Cumin scented Cauliflower Broccoli rice:
- Grate or shred the cauliflower and broccoli in a food processor. Pulse until it is evenly shredded. Heat oil over medium in a skillet. Add cumin seeds and let them start to change color. 1 minute. Add grated cauliflower and broccoli mix well. Add salt, garlic and cayenne and mix well. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add a dash of lemon fluff and cover and let it continue to steam in its own heat for another 2 minutes.
- Add individual serving to bowls with the chickpea stew, some cilantro, chopped red onion, crunchy veggies or greens. Serve hot.
To make this in Instant Pot: Follow Steps 1 to 3 in saute mode in the IP. Add the chickpeas, veggies, water, salt and sugar and cook for 1 to 2 minutes manual-high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally. Mix in the greens if using and serve.